Anyone else wake up looking like a zombie? Sometimes the shadows in the hollow under my eye were so dark, I looked like a skeleton.
I know I did, until I made this stellar remedy.
Naturally, I did some research and found some awesome ingredients with qualities that are going to brighten, moisturize, and heal your dark under eye area. Boo-yah!
Best part? You can find all of them in your kitchen! Let’s get started.
This is Part 5 of the DIY Natural Beauty Series.
Part 1: DIY Cellulite Remedy
Part 3: DIY Natural Stretch Mark Remedy
Part 5: DIY Dark Under Eye Circle Remedy
Pin me to read later!
*Disclaimer: be sure to consult with your dermatologist before starting any new skin care routines, no matter how natural they are.
This post may contain affiliate links
Causes and How to Help
Did you know that the skin around the eyelids is the thinnest skin in the body?
No wonder it’s referred to as the “sensitive eye area”! This translucency makes it easier to see the veins underneath, which is awful for cosmetic purposes.
So, what are some of the universal causes of dark circles?
- Lack of Sleep: shocker! Bet you didn’t know that one 😉
- Allergies: harshly rubbing the eyes frequently because of irritation can burst the sensitive capillary veins under the thin skin surrounding them. This causes the blood in those capillaries to spread in the area like a bruise, adding to the discoloration.
- Lack of Iron: because iron carries oxygen, a lack of it can mean that the cells don’t get enough oxygen. This can give the cells under your eyes a dark appearance. Get some here.
- Dehydration: in case I haven’t said this enough previously, DRINK YOUR WATER!!! Your skin being dehydrated will make it appear even thinner, exposing more of those veins.
- Too Much Sun Exposure: Sun damage always makes the skin appear less radiant. Use your sunscreen, babes! I use foundation that has SPF already built in. I have used BareMinerals pretty much every day since I was 16, and I SWEAR by it. This way, I never have to worry about forgetting to apply sunscreen before I apply make up!
Related article of mine: 12 Secrets to Flawless Skin
Once again, I am NOT USING BAKING SODA!
Get that crap out of here! Baking soda has no place being put on your face; it has a pH of 9, while your face sits at a 5.5. Want to screw up the chemistry and oil balance of your face? Didn’t think so.
- Potato Juice: skin whitening agent, gentle, natural.
- Vitamin K: strengthens capillary walls, reduces visibility of blood vessels.
- Coconut Oil: deeply hydrates the skin.
I used refined coconut oil because it is more solid at room temperature, and I wanted to make a balm instead of a cream.
Let me just say that I had NO idea how juicy potatoes were! I thought I was going to have to use a giant potato to get any juice, but a tiny one was all it took!
You’re going to need a contact case to keep this 2 stage system in. I would love to keep it all in one container, but (as I found out yet again) oil and water do not mix.
- Shred the potato with a grater.
- Collect the shredded pieces in your hand and squeeze the juice out into one side of the contact case (stage 1).
- Melt 1 tsp coconut oil in the microwave and transfer it to the other side of the contact case.
- Pop a vitamin K capsule with a pin, and mix it into the liquid coconut oil (stage 2).
- Allow 30 minutes for the coconut oil to harden.
- Apply the contents of stage 2. This will be a balm.
- Apply the contents of stage 1. This will be a liquid.
- Allow to sit for 20-30 minutes. In this time, I did my hair, brushed my teeth, and picked out my outfit.
Be sure to apply not just under the eyes, but to the entire sensitive eye area. You may use this every day until you’ve achieved desired results, and then as needed.
Store this super effective concoction in your fridge for up to a week!
These photos are taken 24 hours apart: before I applied anything, and 24 hrs after. For some reason, the lighting in my bathroom (where I took these selfies with my Canon T6 Rebel Series) made my circles look not that bad to begin with. But trust me, I looked like the walking dead.
As you can see, this stuff is so effective! Potatoes! Who knew!
Say goodbye to your dark circles and hello to natural beauty, even in the morning.
Until next time, lovely, stay WILD!
Other Posts of Mine You Will Like: